6 Interpersonal skills to look for in your next candidate

Hiring based on interpersonal skills over work experience is a recruiting trend that has picked up in recent times. According to a survey conducted by Stanford Research Centre and Harvard university, 85% of job success comes from excellent soft and people skills, while the remaining 15% comes from technical skills. 

Technical skills that are relevant to the job are important, but they are much easier to learn, as opposed to soft skills that can take years to strengthen, further highlighting the value. 

If you need help figuring out what skills you should pay attention to, here is what we consider the most important interpersonal skills:

  • Communication 
  • Active listening 
  • Problem-solving 
  • Teamwork
  • Leadership 
  • Learning Mindset 


Communication is the primary skill candidates should possess to relate and connect to co-workers. Employees with proven communication skills will feel more comfortable asking questions and can build trust with their peers, which increases overall productivity. 

Active Listening 

Active listening goes hand in hand with communication. Paying attention during a conversation shows the person you understand them, allowing you to comprehend a message and respond accordingly. Because active listening helps you to retain knowledge and avoid missing critical information, it’s a fantastic skill to seek. 


Setbacks are bound to happen in the workplace, it’s helpful to understand how the candidate may resolve issues in a work environment. When recruiting, ask candidates how they have exemplified problem-solving abilities within their previous roles.


When employees collaborate in a team environment, they share ideas, and the diversity of skills can improve results. More than 50% of jobs today require teamwork. We suggest looking for candidates who have displayed teamwork on their CVs or can explain how they’ve previously been team players. 

Learning Mentality

Individuals with a learning mentality have an outlook where they’re able to learn from experiences. They’re more inclined to take risks, formulate goals, grow, and learn. Look for people who have undertaken short courses and shown initiative to learn new skills in previous roles. 


Recruiting individuals in your workplace who possess leadership skills helps boost team morale, communication, and overall engagement. To establish if a candidate has leadership skills, see how they take matters into their own hands to improve their skills, demonstrating how valuable these types of opportunities are to them.

Looking for Recruitment Software?

Contact Us Today for a Free Demo! RDB is Australia’s Leading Recruitment Software Built by Australian Recruiters, for Australia Recruiters.

RDB offers a variety of Recruitment Software Products including a Recruitment CRM, Applicant Tracking System and Vendor Management System. Additionally, we offer a range of Value Add Services and Plugins to Further Boost Your Recruitment Processes.

More Recruitment Articles